Who is Betsey:Jane?

BETSEY is Elizabeth Cody Newenhuyse, Editorial Director at Moody Publishers. JANE is Jane Johnson Struck, former Editor of Today's Christian Woman magazine. We're friends and neighbors who love getting together to ponder relevant matters of the heart, the home, and our world at large. Each Wednesday we tackle a new topic. Join our conversation!

Wednesday, July 21

Gray Matter

Jane: It was a desperate situation: My grays were sprouting everywhere. As I settled into my stylist's chair, I sighed with relief, knowing that soon I'd look like that more youthful version of me.

When I was a child, I watched my mom slather stinky Clairol Number-Whatever on her head, wrap her hair in plastic, and set the timer for 20 minutes. Her routine did nothing to excite me about the prospect of growing older. In fact, I once rather self-righteously told Mom, “I'm going to age naturally.” She simply smiled.

And then, well, I did . . . for a while. But as more youthful coworkers populated my work environment and my product targeted an increasingly younger demographic, I found it surprisingly easy to toss aside that childhood arrogance. I surrendered my hair virginity to the eager, knowing hands of my stylist, and after the initial shock over what I'd done passed, I realized I'd never again be the same. Abstain from the delights of Redken? I had no willpower. I became hooked on that root-covering joy juice, that shade-of-the-month stuff Shelley paints on my head.

But now I'm not working anymore; the perceived pressures that motivated me to transform my gray hair are non-issues. So does narcissism keep me planted in that stylist's chair every six weeks? Or just a healthy desire to look good?

Betsey: I think having great hair gives us ladies a sense of still being “in the game.” Coloring your hair is the single easiest thing you can do to look younger. There’s a woman I see on the train who’s probably my age and looks much older--because her hair is dull grey. Grey hair also has an unattractive, wiry texture and is probably harder to style. I pay a mint to get mine done at a good salon, but I love my colorist and feel it’s worth it, even though the magazines I have to read while I sit with foil on my head are usually pretty crummy.

Jane: Oh, I look forward to reading those tabloid magazines! But Betsey, do you know what your true color is now? I suspect I'm totally gray.

Betsey: I actually have no idea. For years, I was a natural platinum blonde. When I had a kid, it became ashy. Eventually I started doing DYI color, which my daughter insists made my hair look “brown.” Then I put myself in Carli the Colorist’s capable gloved hands, and I sort of revel in the artificiality of it all. Having glimpsed a few “natural” hairs sneaking in, I have a feeling it would be white, which is somewhat unsettling, but the same thing happened to my mother and she now has beautiful silver hair, all hers.

Jane: Interesting! My mom still continues to color her hair a medium chestnut. That's what I used to be . . . I think.

Betsey: Carli told me when you go light blonde and you ARE that way naturally, your hair will still bleach out.

Jane: And as you age, it's more flattering to go with a softer, lighter shade . . . less harsh color to contrast with those crows feet!

I once toyed with the idea of going “natural.” I admire women who boldly gray and stay that way. I find it brave. And color's a luxury in this current economy; if I had to cut it out for financial reasons, I would.

I'm really not high-maintenance. I don't get my nails or eyebrows done, go for facials or Botox, or buy high-end skincare products. So hair coloring is my one indulgence, my one nod to our youth-oriented culture.

Betsey: I always think of Jo March in Little Women and how her luxuriant chestnut tresses were her “one beauty.” I admit, I like my hair.

Jane: So in essence, hair was Jo's one vanity—and ours too? The truth is, I really don't want to look older if I can help it. And this--the coloring--helps it.

But there's another motivation that rises above vanity. After I stopped working, I asked my husband, Rich, if he thought I should go “color commando.” He loves me as I am—extra pounds and all. He never makes demands about how I should dress or style my hair. But to my surprise, he told me he liked the way I looked with colored hair. That settled my gray matter, because I believe it's really important to pay attention to what my spouse says about that kind of thing.

Betsey: True, although I have heard of women whose husbands loved their hair long, so they (the wives) wore it cascading over their shoulders way past the time they should have cut it. But it’s interesting about Fritz, at least--when I ask him “how does this look?” of course he’ll always say “Good,” or something else positive. BUT when he volunteers a comment--ah, then I pay attention. (Although the poor guy: Sometimes if he says, “I like your hair like that,” I snap back, “What, you didn’t like it before?”)

Jane: Ultimately, I think we need to make sure our focus on covering up what's happening on the outside isn't more about covering up something unattractive on the inside. Because in the end, the caliber of our hearts is more important than the color on our heads!

Betsey: I agree, but my heart feels better when my head is freshly colored. And I think that’s okay.

Do you color your grays? Have you ever transitioned from using color to going naturally gray? Do you think it's important for a woman to look as youthful as possible, particularly in the workplace?

8 comments:

Katy McKenna said...

Jane and Betsey, Your colorful exchange had me smiling all the way through!! I know I am going to love your new blog. I also love it that Jane spells the word "gray" and Betsey goes with "grey." I think this points to your conversations here having just enough contrast to keep us coming back!!! (BTW, I am a "grey" user, but my agent Rachelle Gardner says it's a Britishism I must have inherited from my Scottish father and that it may have to go, boo-hoo.)

As for hair color, it's difficult to say whether I've ever covered any greys. I started coloring my hair auburn as a 16-year-old and have only had one 2-year period since then when I reverted to my natural dark brown. Ten years ago I had brain surgery and it kind of scared me to think of chemicals somehow crossing the scar barrier, eeek.

During those two years, though, my sweet husband let it be known that I was a redhead when he met me, and he would love nothing more than for me to be a redhead again. And so thus it is. My grandma died at age 70, and until she got sick in the last two months of her life, she colored her own hair RED. I intend to follow that good example, though I have softened the color from its brazen beginnings over the years. I am now 56. When I try to get close enough to the mirror to inspect my roots, I see no grey. But heck, Mom is 80, and she has no grey, either!

But coloring my hair is a given, and it ALWAYS makes me feel better at the heart level. Yay for that!!

Michelle Van Loon said...

What color is my hair? Whatever's on sale at Walgreens!

Kathryn said...

I have been a silvery gray for the last two years ( I stopped coloring at 50 ) after many years of being the hair chameleon ! I get more compliments on my tresses now that i ever did when I colored it. So, I am very happy with being au naturale !

Anonymous said...

My hair started turning gray when I was 16. SIXTEEN!! I learned the joys of hair color a long time ago. My dear husband wanted to see what my natural color was, and since I was in dire need of a short do, well, my stylist cut short. At 39, I'm now between 50-60% gray.

My natural color is a dark brown that seems almost black in certain lighting. I had the most amazing compliments when it was natural. They also had me giggling because people wondered who did my highlights! I'd respond: GOD!! :)

I have since opted back to the land of the color bottle and a sassy shade of auburn. The coloring adheres to the grays just enough to still give me fabulous highlights.

With a 7 & 9 year-old running around the house, I refuse to look like "grandma" and enjoy being MOM!!

Susy said...

I've always colored my hair, probably since I was about 17 or 18. But this year I went through chemo. When my hair came back in, I was shocked to discover how much gray I had. I can't color it for a while, and I'm having to come to terms with the salt and pepper look. But, it's not so bad. I get lots of "Jamie Lee Curtis" comments and I almost sort of like the silver stripe on the top left. I've earned my grays....and I'm going to enjoy them for awhile. Maybe forever?!!

Karen said...

I was a high-schooler, and all my friends were having their hair "painted," so I did too. I loved the light blonde highlights in my then dark blonde hair.

I continued highlighting into my 30's, but after baby number 3, I decided to stay home. No money for expensive salon visits led to the discovery that my dark blonde tresses were considerably darker than I remembered. In fact, I could drop the word "blonde" entirely.

Around that time, I began to notice silvery streaks. I kinda liked them; my hubby, not so much. So, I became a DIY colorist.

A mission trip to New Orleans in 2008 sent me in search of ways to deal with the heat, and my shoulder-length hair was chopped short. It seemed a good opportunity to grow out the color and see what nature revealed.

What had been silvery-streaks morphed into kinky gray wires sprouting from the top of my head like a brillo pad.

And while my husband tolerated this venture into au natural, he made no secret of letting me know he was too young to be married to someone who looked like a grandma.

Now, a grandma in fact, I've returned to my inner high-schooler wearing blonde hairlights over my dyed light brown hair. If I could only figure out how to turn back the hands of time for the rest of me!

Liz Curtis Higgs said...

I haven't put color on my hair since January 2004, and am now mostly silver in front and a mix of silver and dark blonde in the back. It was a matter of being authentic with my audiences, my friends, and myself.

I'd love to see women embrace ALL of who they are, including their age, and see silver hair for what it is: "a crown of splendor!" Proverbs 16:31 I realize I'm going against society's narrow definition of beauty...but then I always have. ;>)

From a pracical standpoint, the savings in time and money is HUGE. I never have to worry about my roots. It looks good in any lighting (which cannot really be said about color-treated hair). And my complexion looks the best it has EVER looked because the hair next to it matches. ;>)

I really do trust God with everything, and if this is the color he had in mind for me at this stage in the game, I'm good with it!

likes334 said...

I sometimes wonder when I'll decide to quit coloring my hair. I think when that time comes I'll let it grow, and wear it in a long, white braid. I'll bop around town on my bicycle with a horn.