Who is Betsey:Jane?

BETSEY is Elizabeth Cody Newenhuyse, Editorial Director at Moody Publishers. JANE is Jane Johnson Struck, former Editor of Today's Christian Woman magazine. We're friends and neighbors who love getting together to ponder relevant matters of the heart, the home, and our world at large. Each Wednesday we tackle a new topic. Join our conversation!

Wednesday, August 25

Getting Honest About Friendship

Betsey: Jane, I’ve been thinking lately about a question that’s been bothering me. Recently a young woman gave the children’s message at church, and she was talking about friendship and how hard it is to sustain one over time, and gave some examples of this from her own life. I suspect the grownups got at least as much out of this message as the kids! Certainly it made me think about my own friendships, and I realized I don’t really have any close friends from, say, college. You know, every now and then you hear about some group of friends that have known one another forever and get together for a “girls’ getaway” once a year or so. Do you have anyone like that? I think lives are so fluid now that it’s hard to maintain those connections (Facebook does NOT count).

Jane: Oh, nuts, that's too bad . . . because I've reconnected with some high-school and elementary-school classmates via Facebook, and it's been fun to exchange fluffy, encouraging comments from time to time. But you're right, Betsey, that's hardly friendship in the true sense of the word.
Sometimes I wonder what would happen if my Facebook friends and I actually got together in the same room.
We'd probably end up staring blankly at each other with very little to say! That's because for some strange reason I'm more outgoing on Facebook than I am in real life.

I look at my parents, especially my mom, and see how they still have these wonderful connections to high-school classmates. I wouldn't call these former classmates my parents' close, day-to-day friends, but they all share a childhood history they value highly. For my mom, attending her high-school reunion in Chicago remains a priority. I can't begin to relate to that . . . and sometimes, I feel sad that I can't. Jennifer Aniston once said ex-husband Brad Pitt was missing a “sensitivity chip.” Could I be missing some nostalgia gene, or some “friendship chip” that they have? I hope not!

Betsey: One of the things I really like about our friendship, yours and mine, is that we’ve reconnected. I think of people I used to be close to, say, from former churches and through work connections, and it’s sobering how people can drift in and out of our lives. If we see a friendship kind of dwindling, we don’t really exert effort to resuscitate it.

Jane: I know – and I'm sure I've been guilty of that. But here's a pet peeve, Betsey. I once had a friend who rarely initiated activities; if I didn't set up a lunch or breakfast, it wouldn't happen. That would put me in a funk because
it takes two to do friendship!
It finally dawned on me that this particular friendship was obviously more important to me than to her (I was slow on the uptake). Accepting this hard truth stung. But the older I become, the more easily I can accept a relationship for what it is, and if it fizzles out, I try to move on. I have to; life's too short.

Most friendships, I think, are situational anyway. But who's to say one of those more transitory relationships won't surprise you by reappearing and unexpectedly deepening? You can never write off that possibility!

Betsey: A couple of other things come to mind. One, what is a “friend”? Do you have to see each other all the time to be friends? Certainly there are people at church I count as friends, even though we don’t socialize much outside of that. Are people at work friends or just colleagues? I’ve actually heard people say that when they left a job, they just didn’t keep in touch with their former workmates as much as they expected to. It seems the definition of “friendship” is really slippery.

Jane: I've experienced friendships forged in the pressure mill of the workplace that I considered fairly tight. But after someone changed jobs or left for some other reason, the challenge became preventing that friendship from dying on the vine. I once had a close friend at work who just dropped me a year or so after she changed jobs – even though I made overtures to reconnect. The reality is,
once your common bond is removed, it becomes more difficult to maintain your ties.
You quickly discover if that specific friendship is deep enough to bridge the gap. Many aren't, and in the end that's okay, because new ones, hopefully, come along. Although I do think sometimes it's easier to make friends in certain seasons of life, and more difficult in others.

Betsey: So what makes someone “good at friendship”? I think I’m pretty good -- I’m not especially high-maintenance, I think I’m an okay listener, I’m funny. On the other hand, I can be introverted and things can get under my skin.

Jane: Anything you want to tell me, Betsey?

Joking aside, I'd like to think I'm a good friend too, but I can be easily hurt. And that's something I'm going to spend a lifetime overcoming.

In the end, I'm not sure how to define a “good” friend, except to say I think she's someone who can make you laugh (and you can make laugh, too!). She's someone with whom you can be your true self; someone who “gets you” in ways others might not and who accepts and treasures those things about you; someone who finds you important enough to schedule into her calendar with some regularity. I'm not suggesting good friends have to get together all the time; I think you can see each other infrequently and still be quite close if
you both want to make that effort, you both value nurturing the friendship.
AND – this is important, at least to me: Your conversation is mutually engaging. Some friends have made me feel my only function in our friendship is to be their sounding board because they monopolize the conversations. I want to say, “Hey, what about me? Aren't I in this friendship too?” But usually I'm too non-confrontational to do that. And that's a whole other topic!

Betsey, I could get on a roll on this friendship topic. I think we need to write a book!

Betsey: You are so right about the mutuality. I’ve known people who, when you’re talking with them, you share something about your life and they IMMEDIATELY turn it around and launch into a recital of what they’re up to. All about them. That bothers me a lot. And yes, I think we should write a book.

What are your biggest friendship challenges?

9 comments:

Katy McKenna said...

Really enjoyed this, ladies! I remember some 30 years ago having a conversation with a girl who had just married one of my lifelong friends--a boy I've now been buddies with since the 4th grade. She was quite philosophical on the topic of friendship, while at the time I may have been expressing dismay over a particular relationship of mine. She said, "There are different kinds of friendships. Some are 'shopping friends.' Others are 'Bible study friends.' Some are 'lunch friends.' And some are the type who will do anything for you when you need help, but would hate to share a shop dressing room with you." Her comment has always stuck with me. I try not to expect a coffee friend to necessarily be a bring-a-meal-after-surgery friend, although she may surprise me. I've also realized that I may view being a friend as visiting someone in the hospital, but the particular friend I visited may not share that value at all. In friendship, it's always nice to try to learn what the other person really cherishes, and attempt to bless her in that way.

Wendy Paine Miller said...

I love this post. So many thoughts flooded in as I read. It's difficult when woman become threatened in a friendship with me (or I've seen it with others as well). I'm confident. I know who I am in God. This bothers some women. I love it in a friend--am drawn to those qualities.

Like you, Jane, I'm sensitive. This is a blessing and a curse. Makes me empathetic, but hurt easily.

I have a few friends from h.s. & college. Mainly I got pushed to the edges of any "groups". I finally came to the conclusion I wasn't the "group" type until God showed me differently and I had the blessed opportunity to lead a MOMS group several years ago. I delighted in watching women use their gifts. I made some beautiful friendships there, including one of Jane's dear friends. ;)

I'm also fairly open and that might scare some people. Life is just too short to go around playing make believe and pretending.

Give me the real.

Absolutely loved this post. My mom and I talk about this topic a lot. I consider her a close friend in my life.

It made me smile to read about your friendship, ladies.
~ Wendy

elizabeth.newenhuyse said...

Wendy, loved your comment about your mom! My Amanda and I are great friends. And I ... think ... my husband and I are too, but of course we're a lot of other things.
I actually think we could devote a blog to nothing but friendship. Of course then we'd have no time and our friendships would wither and . . .

Peggy said...

One of the things I've noticed about reconnecting with childhood & high school friends mainly through Facebook, is that we have continued to understand them and care about them in a deeper way. Having had so many years of work, church and neighborhood friends, reconnecting with childhood friends makes me grateful for those sweet and strong beginnings of learning to negotiate the boundaries of friendship and to cherish the essence of that person over time. I was surprised when I went to my 30th high school reunion to feel an immediate and very deep love for the people I had been to nursery school and kindergarten through high school with--they were more than just background in the landscape of childhood. I have continued to feel that depth of love even though I live 1000 miles away from most of them and don't keep in touch with any sense of ownership or possessiveness. Many of the high school friends I've connected with on Facebook I've felt close to because we have separately but somehow corporately been on a journey of discipleship with Jesus Christ and for me they feel like companions on the Way and that has been a gift and a blessing both in fellowship and in knowing that we have taken different paths but are heading up the same mountain. And it's good to know that it's not a solitary journey, but we trust in faith that others are working out their salvation and there can be mutual encouragement.

Karen said...

"We meet many friends as we journey through life, but none is so true and none is so kind as God - our best and dearest friend." - Barbara Burrow

I wish I could sit over coffee with you, Betsey and Jane, and continue this conversation! So many responses spring to my mind! Hearing your thoughts and those expressed in the comments reveals friendship as something elusive and not easily defined. What is friendship for one, may not feel that way to another. The common thread seems to be fulfillment of need. We need friends!

But, although I believe we ALL need friends, our needs are all so individual it is impossible to find a universally-defined friend. And that's the idea expressed about having "lunch" friends and call-in-the-middle-of-the-night friends.

I used to think of myself as poor friend material because I tend to be somewhat of an introvert. I dislike long telephone conversations (text me), and I don't necessarily want a friend to "drop-in" (although I'm desperately trying to learn to be gracious when it happens!). I'm usually one of the first to leave any form of get-together because my eyes begin to glaze over and my attention wanders when I receive too much input from too many friends. I guess I'm more of a small group friend.

I've felt that I just didn't have enough to give.

At some point, I became aware that people wanted to be my friend. Hmmm...that caused me to consider what DO I have to give? I began to see that in His creativity God made us so that we all have much to give. And if we model our friendships after Jesus, it seems that finding those people to whom we have something to give, even if it is only a listening ear, is the beginning of finding friendship.

So, what does God's friendship look like? Barbara Burrows has some ideas about that. I've posted it below.

Betsey & Jane said...

Peggy, one of the absolute delights of being on Facebook has been connecting with you -- and I mean that. And, it's been so fascinating and encouraging to me to also discover high-school and elementary-school classmates who join us on the adventure of being a Jesus follower -- people I would never have guessed are also on the journey! God works in wonderful ways, and I think that this aspect makes me wish we could gather and discuss our faith walks and how each of us began the path we're on, and how God is working in each of us to make us more like his Son! And that kind of bond is deep, deeper than any -- even friendship. Because that makes us family. ~ Jane

Anonymous said...

While tossing household stuff recently that was ruined in a basement flood I came across a box of damp, molding high school yearbooks. Just before I lifted my arm to pitch them into the can, I hesitated and then stopped to read a few of the messages inscribed between the covers. Most of them began, "Remember when..." and I confess that I DON'T. Not only do I not recall the classes and incidents that classmates referred to, I don't even remember most of the people who wrote the entries.

Sad? Yes and no. Someone once wrote that keeping all your old friends is like trying to keep all the old clothes in your closet; you have to make room for more. I don't like that analogy, though, cuz I'm a keeper and more, importantly, people matter so very much.

I am finding that at this stage in life - my late 50's - it's harder to make new friends because most people (is this my imagination only?) seem to have all they need.

My favorite friendship quote is this one, from 19th century New England writer Sarah Orne Jewitt: "Yes'm, old friends is best, unless you can find a new friend to make an old one out of."
Thanks for getting the conversation going, gals!

Betsey & Jane said...

Maggie, I do think it's a little harder in this season to make new friends. In fact, an older (than me) lady at my church once said she felt it was hard to make new friends at church. That's because everyone seems to have their cliques, and it's difficult for someone new to break into them. I think the easiest friendship seasons I've lived through were the college years, especially freshman year (everyone's on an equal footing in terms of adjusting to college life) and the new mom years -- my friends and I were experiencing all these firsts at the same time. Perhaps that's the catalyst for friendship -- a shared first -- and it might just get a little harder to find those as you age. I wonder if any one else has any thoughts on this aspect of friendship . . .

Diane Burmer said...

I love your Blog...I've always told my girls that you are very blessed to have at least a handful of Best friend in your life. You may have work friends, work friends and close neighbors etc...but Best friends are very special!! My hubby, daughters, parents and a couple very close friends qualify for that position in my life, to which I am very grateful for!