Who is Betsey:Jane?

BETSEY is Elizabeth Cody Newenhuyse, Editorial Director at Moody Publishers. JANE is Jane Johnson Struck, former Editor of Today's Christian Woman magazine. We're friends and neighbors who love getting together to ponder relevant matters of the heart, the home, and our world at large. Each Wednesday we tackle a new topic. Join our conversation!

Wednesday, August 11

Tiny Terrors

Betsey: Last Sunday after church and -- I admit it -- blueberry pancakes, we took our dog for a long (for her) walk. The air was cool and damp, the trees were tossing in the wind. It felt bracing and energizing, like that proverbial hint of fall and a wonderful change from what we’ve been enduring, a grim plod of muggy 90-degree days with screaming cicadas and flotillas of devouring mosquitoes that basically ruin summer. Last night we were at Amanda and Stu’s and tried to eat out on their deck and were chased indoors, and so the terrorists have won. As I mentioned to you, I think I have mosquito allergies so I’m covered with welts and scabs where I’ve scratched. Delightful.

Then at night, when the AC is on, our bedroom gets really stuffy and I toss and turn and itch and kick off covers and even the dog says, “Forget this!” and escapes downstairs. So we try to turn off the air from time to time to bring that good fresh air in -- but it’s just been so warm. And I think it’s affecting my mood and outlook more than I realize.
"I'm covered with welts and scabs where I've scratched. Delightful."
I once had a musician friend who said she thought creative people actually preferred “bad” weather. I think there’s something to that. Maybe not bad weather per se, but I realize when it gets cold, I get happy. What about you? Do you find yourself being affected by the weather?

Jane: First of all, I know what you mean about the mosquitoes. We took our two dogs to the off-leash dog park Saturday morning, and although I was slathered in Skin-So-Soft, we ended up trudging through these vast swarms of skeeters, slapping ourselves silly in a futile attempt to keep them from feasting on every known body part! You can tell it's really bad when Rich, who usually isn't bothered by mosquitoes (I can't figure this out, because they just love me) cries uncle. We finally turned tail and left in defeat. Days later I'm still discovering angry welts from that trek . . . on my butt, the backs of my arms, my thighs. All the juicy spots!

Now to answer your question, yes, I'm affected by the weather -- or more accurately, by the sunshine. Every long gray winter, I struggle with S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder) and I'm always tempted to buy one of those “happy lights” they sell at Costco.

But I can't say I prefer bad weather; I prefer variety. Too many bright days in a row, and I yearn for the moodiness of a cloudy, rainy day (nothing like the rhythm of rain to read by). Too many dreary days in a row, and I just about go batty craving some sun.
"Days later I'm still discovering angry welts from that trek . . . on all the juicy spots!"
Oh, and I can do without high humidity. It turns me into a sweaty, crabby mess.

Betsey: You’re right about variety. I think that’s more it than “bad” weather. And I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets bitten on, well, “shaded” spots. And I still remember an old cartoon that ran in one of the first issues of Partnership magazine, the former CTI publication for ministry wives. It showed a couple watching as their kid fled marauding mosquitoes, and the dad said, “Uh-oh. Get ready for the question, ‘Why did God invent mosquitoes?’"

Jane: I asked that question myself when we were at the dog park -- loudly, and often.

Betsey: So not to “theologize” everything, but is there such a thing as “bad” creation? Philip Yancey wrote something on this years ago. As I recall, he was talking about the dangerous giardia parasite lurking in the waters of crystalline Colorado streams and he explored the idea of “fallen creation” -- things in nature that destroy and hurt and have no visible benefit. I wonder if this summer’s tiny terrorists would fall into that category. I know they are eaten by, among other creatures, bats and dragonflies (which I’m seeing more of) . . . but there are just so MANY of them. (Annie Dillard has an interesting reflection on nature’s “mindless fecundity” in Pilgrim at Tinker Creek.)
"What about the idea of 'fallen creation' -- things in nature that destroy and hurt and have no visible benefit?"
Or you think about truly miserable weather, like the 100-degree-plus heat they’ve seen in the Great Plains this summer. Or disasters. Or anything else in creation that doesn’t seem to have an upside. How to account for some of this?

Jane: Betsey, although my recent trip to Alaska renewed my awe for creation's design, as far as these ferocious mosquitoes go . . . sometimes nature seems so random, even nasty!

Betsey: Well, I’ll ponder this while safely sequestered indoors, dreaming of blustery October skies, beef stew and a world where a woman has the right to bare arms without fear of airborne enemies using your skin as a landing strip. Slap!

5 comments:

Kate Bryant said...

I'm a fan of warm weather; though if it can be had without the humidity, all the better! But I also love--I mean LOVE--the fall! "Sweater weather" as I call it. But I'm with you, Jane, mostly I love sunshine. Sunshine can redeem just about anything--even a snowy, sub-zero, dead-of-winter day. Too many cloudy days in a row do try to effect my mood. I also like the occasional rainy day; but, oddly, I prefer them to occur when I am on vacation. (I'll allow ONE rainy day on vacation!) That way I CAN enjoy reading a book and sipping coffee without the inconvenience of a job demanding my time!

Regarding the question of why God created unpleasant things...lately I'm wondering what makes us ask that question. I mean we seem to stamp our feet and say, "Why did You make this uncomfortable, Lord?" as if we have the right to be happy and comfortable all the time. I'm a big believer in character builders. Long lines at the grocery store, drivers who cut me off on the freeway, the flu, financial concerns, and...yes, even mosquito ambushes expose parts of our character that we sometimes need to be made aware of. They are a sort of "proving ground" for us. Not that I like them--let me be clear about that!!! But they can serve a useful, though uncomfortable, purpose.

Wendy Paine Miller said...

I enjoy my seasons too. I'm fairly certain I have undiagnosed S.A.D. When we were first married we had to move out to Seattle. I thought I'd shrivel up and become a hermit. I actually didn't mind it so much. There was water everywhere--seemed to offset it for me.

As far as mosquitoes...they haven't been so bad for us in New England this year. My husband just had chiggers and I felt for him big time. I got to play Florence Nightingale and slather clear nailpolish on his back. Inspired some good laughs.

BTW I love Yancey. He's one of my favorites.
~ Wendy

Karen said...

Desperately trying not to scratch, though the bite on my jawline is begging me to, I write.
Yesterday morning found me in my backyard, or "the jungle" as I not-so-fondly refer to it. I just couldn't take looking out the patio door to see four-foot tall weeds overtaking my plants any longer. Silly me, I didn't take the time to slather in Skin-So-Soft or any other bug repellent.

The weeds are conquered, but my skin fell to the attack of the skeeters. Both backsides of my arms, my afore-mentioned jaw, legs, and yes, even my butt, have welts. ARGHHHH!!!

So Kate, I'll try to heed your comment and hope that while I fight the urge to scratch, God will built up my character for whatever His purpose might be. (Do I have to like it?)

I've actually always put the nasty side of life down to the fallen condition of the world. Maybe that's too simplistic, but I'm all about trying to find simplicity these days. Does make me wonder though, while the lion lies down with the lamb, will the mosquitoes be dancing with the dragonflies?

Thanks for this blog Jane and Betsey. I'm enjoying the conversation. And BTW, I just picked up my reserved copy of "Life Would be Perfect..." I appreciate hearing what everyone is reading. Finished "The Help" last week and loved it!

Betsey & Jane said...

I have to agree that I chalk the nasty side of creation to its fallen nature; I just have a hard time seeing God using mosquitoes to build character! (Or rogue waves or killer tornados, or the ebola virus, for that matter.) I guess I think that because of the Fall, nature is -- I don't know -- "bent." If you've ever read the Lord of the Rings trilogy, there's a section when the hobbits are lost in The Old Forest, where Old Man Willow sings his songs to capture them. Tom Bombadil says Old Man Willow became "bent." I guess I suspect that with the new heaven and the new heaven, God will do a lot of unbending. And maybe the mosquitoes WILL be redeemed!

Kate Bryant said...

Oh, I don't disagree with the idea of a "bent," fallen creation. But I'm talking about the little inconveniences like mosquitoes. Yet, even a tsunami has its character revealing/developing qualities--not that I'd call a tsunami a good thing. I'm just saying our God is a God of redemption in ALL situations.

But regarding those skeeters...I AM the woman who is contemplating training her labradoodle to use the toilet so I don't get eaten up waiting for her to find the exact right spot to "doodle" on!