Who is Betsey:Jane?

BETSEY is Elizabeth Cody Newenhuyse, Editorial Director at Moody Publishers. JANE is Jane Johnson Struck, former Editor of Today's Christian Woman magazine. We're friends and neighbors who love getting together to ponder relevant matters of the heart, the home, and our world at large. Each Wednesday we tackle a new topic. Join our conversation!

Wednesday, October 13

Ah, Autumn!

jane: Well, I KNEW this would happen – as soon as I spent three hours last week switching my wardrobe from tees and capris to sweaters and corduroys, temperatures spiked. So now we've turned off the heat, rolled down the comforter, and watered the lawn. And because I'm sweltering, I've had to dig out some tops I'd already packed away in our old cedar chest.

It's Murphy's Law. When you wash your windows or your car, it rains. When you check the weather forecast, see it's predicting precipitation, and dash out to fertilize the grass (well, at least Rich does), of course then the heavens dry up and the fertilizer doesn't get watered in. Go figure!
But even with the warmer temperatures, I'm loving this weather, Betsey. We just returned from a splendid weekend hiking around Devil's Lake State Park in Baraboo, Wisconsin. Our trek to Wisconsin is an annual Struck Family outing that had its genesis in our post-college days, when Rich and I frequently camped there with rock-climber friends who rappelled off the sturdy bluffs that guard this gem of a glacial lake. Once our daughters were old enough to “hike” (bribed by a steady supply of juice boxes and fun fruits), we started allocating a weekend every October to return there with the dog in tow. On every one of our Devil's Lake escapes, our family has hiked the same trails, eaten at the same restaurants (the Old Schoolhouse for pizza!), and always – I mean always – made a pilgrimage to Ski-Hi Fruit Farm, home of the best apple pie I've found this side of my Nana's. This year we brought back two pies, and I'm in heaven! Our grown daughters still remember and savor this tradition, and next October, we hope our entire family – including our new grandbaby – will join us in carrying it on yet another year.

What about you, Betsey? Do you have any autumn traditions you've been enjoying this fall?

betsey: Well, my birthday, for one – I’ve always been really proud to be an October baby, because truly, October is the most gorgeous month. This year in particular it’s been living up to advance billing. All of a sudden (or so it seems) the leaves around us have burst into unusually intense – and, I think, early – color. Fritz and I love to go for color drives, and really, we don’t have to go far to find it. I look out our bedroom window and our big maples are turning red-gold – it starts at the top and works its way down. I have a theory that leaves turn at night, and I like to think of a Disney-like Jack Frost doing his work as we sleep.

Of all the seasons, autumn lends itself to nostalgia. I think of "Injun Summer,"
John T. McCutcheon, Chicago Tribune, Sept. 30, 1907
the wonderful old painting that always used to run on the cover of the Tribune magazine, and usually your teacher would put it up . . . my dad, carving pumpkins so expertly and me, little, hating the smell . . . bonfires and wood smoke everywhere . . . going with my then-boyfriend to a high-school football game (because you do anything for your beloved when you’re dating) and freezing my face off. That timeless, suspended quality of melancholy November, between the color and the coming of Christ.

jane: Autumn fills me with nostalgia, too. As a child, I loved October and especially Halloween. Being a creative kid, I happily drew haunted houses and spooky trees on manila paper with my crayons, and read ghost stories by flashlight in my bed. But those were simpler, more innocent times, when Halloween just wasn't as big (and creepy) a deal. Now October means apple-picking and raking and scented candles and cozy throws and my well-worn barn coat and my favorite “comfort foods”: green chicken chili, veggie cobbler, meat loaf, homemade manicotti, and, of course, pumpkin bread, Gerty's brownies, and cranberry coffee cake!

My father's birthday is in October, so each year I try to make the six-hour drive to Michigan to celebrate it with my folks. During these visits, Mom and I always shop at Hunter Country Store in Birmingham and poke around their local Orvis . . . our shopping together, well, that's tradition my dad understands. And three years ago, our eldest daughter Sarah was married on a beautiful October Saturday. That event adds to the cluster of happy memories I hold of Octobers present and past.

betsey: That’s right! Three years! Happy anniversary, Sarah and Mike and “little one to come.” November is our big family month, with our wedding anniversary and Amanda’s birthday, both falling around Thanksgiving time.

And your recipes sound mouth-watering. We always go to the farmers’ market and get probably too many apples – Winesap, sometimes Cortland, Paula Reds, Northern Spy when you can find them. I love the way they look, smell, everything. Sometimes I just like to slice the firmer ones and saute them in, yes, a little butter and broth, sprinkle with mace and a little honey, and serve with pork. The Winesaps make outstanding pie in my experience.

jane: This is the first year we've tried Honey Crisps. Everyone's been telling us about them. I usually load up on Cortlands, but I have to admit, Honey Crisps are delicious! Betsey, you've got to give them a try.

betsey: Fall makes me feel close to my dad, who’s been gone for years but loved seeing geese in flight and spent hours and hours raking leaves the old-fashioned way - and we had a big yard. I love the poignancy of autumn: you know the beauty is fleeting, so it’s very precious.

jane: Autumn will always be my favorite time of year. I can't imagine not smelling sweet woodsmoke on an evening breeze, watching cold stars glitter in a clear, hard sky, enjoying late-blooming asters - their blast of brilliant purple exploding in the sun - and reveling in the kaleidoscope of vivid red, rust, and yellow leaves. All too quickly the dark descends – leading to, as you so aptly said, the melancholy that exists between the colors and the coming of Christ.

This is a poignant, precious season indeed . . . aching in its beauty, bittersweet in its brevity. Just like life, isn't it? So let's savor it to the fullest and fight back the deepening gloom with the joys of hearth and home, knowing springtime will once again be just around the corner.

6 comments:

Kate Bryant said...

I have little to add. Just AMEN, AND AMEN.

And Jane, I'm glad you've been converted to Honey Crisps! The BEST apples ever...especially when eaten on the deck of a cabin tucked into the Door County woods! No better Honey Crisps than Door County Honey Crisps!

Wendy Paine Miller said...

You both mentioned your fathers. I think of my dad this time of year as well. Gathering wood. Making the Thanksgiving turkey. That list goes on.

I miss him.
~ Wendy

Maggie said...

Our church's annual fall retreat for women is held right across from Devil's Lake State Park each year and it starts tomorrow - you have whet my appetite to return to this beautiful area.More importantly, your beautiful descriptions of this season of the year fuel my appreciation for it. Thanks as always for the relevant writing.

Anonymous said...

A very geographic-specific seasonal autumn description, saith this Floridian! You knew that, don't you, friends? I forgot about the annual task of closet exchange for winter attire. You pick apples for me, I'll pick oranges for you. You did make me nostalgic for my Midwest roots, to a limited degree. I loved autumn, especially migrating bird watching, but autumn also made me feel like short dark days and cold winter I did not love was too soon-to-be. FL has its own autumn joys. Gone is the summer humidity, return of fresh air with comfortable, not hot, sunshine, migrating butterflies and banks of seasonal flowers again.

Betsey & Jane said...

Maggie, what a wonderful setting for a women's retreat. Wonder if it's at Nordic Pines or Devils Head (ironic if for a church retreat!).

Regarding our traditional restaurants, we used to go to The Old Schoolhouse but were sad to see it up for sale now. They had such great pizza! Now our tradition includes eating at lumberjack, all-you-can-eat Paul Bunyan's in the Dells. It's a hoot! ~ Jane

Peggy Sullivan said...

I didn't get to read the blog last week and while I'm waiting for tomorrow's new post I'm enjoying all of your autumn musings and tradition--I loved the Injun Summer story/cartoon on the back of the Sunday Tribune Magazine--I think of it every fall no matter where I am. You two have really been feeding my heart and soul with your blog; I feel very content and at the same time encouraged by your writing and by your lives. Thank you!
Peggy