Who is Betsey:Jane?

BETSEY is Elizabeth Cody Newenhuyse, Editorial Director at Moody Publishers. JANE is Jane Johnson Struck, former Editor of Today's Christian Woman magazine. We're friends and neighbors who love getting together to ponder relevant matters of the heart, the home, and our world at large. Each Wednesday we tackle a new topic. Join our conversation!

Wednesday, October 6

E-Reader, She-Reader

betsey: Jane, I just finished rereading That Hideous Strength, the third (and best) installment of C.S. Lewis’s space trilogy -- and it reminded me, once again, of that delicious feeling of being swept away by a book. We can think of Lewis as either the kindly, avuncular, pipe-smoking author of the Narnia Chronicles, or the brilliant Oxford-and-Cambridge don who so vigorously defended the faith in the mid-twentieth century, when faith was in short supply, especially in the West. Yet Strength also reveals Lewis as a remarkably astute satirist. It makes one wonder what else he could have done had he written more contemporary fiction!

As you know, I have my reading place, generally the recliner in our family room. Lewis-like, it’s fine leather yet tatty in all the right places in a clubby sort of way. It’s next to our fireplace, which has brick ledges where I stack books, there and on the end table. The lamp is from Cape Cod, a beloved place for us. It has birds on it. 
I wrap up in my red throw like a little old lady, Lucy curls up next to me, and I read. 
On windy nights there’s a whooshing through the chimney that makes me think of Wuthering Heights. Everything is kind of textured and sensory.

Jane, I know you’re a reader and lover of coziness and atmosphere. At the same time, you have a Kindle! How does that work for you?

jane: Well, first of all, my reading spot is our bed, and usually Daisy and Boomer are parked there right with me! I'm tucked under the covers, my head propped up by two pillows, especially my pliable, cushy memory-foam one. I'm warm and cozy, lost in my own little world. Rich usually isn't bothered by my lamplight, so I read on, often way too late, to the soothing sounds of snoring husband and dogs. At some point I finally nod off as the book falls from my hands (fortunately, I haven't dropped my Kindle -- yet!).

But as far as the Kindle goes, it's great. Rich gave it to me for Christmas, because he knows how much I love to read and how 

I NEVER go anywhere without bringing along a good book . . . or two or three.
What I appreciate most about my Kindle is its portability. Instead of stuffing several different paperbacks into my carry-on while traveling this summer, I simply toted my Kindle. In the last few months, it's cruised Alaska and flown to Southern California. It's even ridden our motorcycle all the way to Colorado and back. My Kindle is very well traveled!

betsey: I have to admit, I’m not sure what to think about Kindles and other e-readers. I know they’re convenient, and I see people reading them on the train (although really, not all that many), but there’s something so cold and techy about them. Books should be
warm.

But I’m also curious about the act of reading itself, scanning the text on a page. It’s one thing to send an email or text on a wireless device. But reading has more depth. Talk to me about this.

jane: Well, I doubt anyone who opts for a Kindle or a Nook or even an iPad thinks in terms of eliminating books and depending solely on an e-reader. It's simply an additional and extremely convenient way to read content. 

No, I'll always relish the smell and the feel of books. For me, downloaded files will never replace paper and ink. One look around my house, and you'll spot books spilling from my nightstand or sitting on a big bookcase in an extra bedroom. Many of my favorites reside in our living room, stacked on the beautiful bookcase my grandfather crafted for me when I was a child. I cherish these old and new friends -- the books I've read, and the books I intend to read -- as well as my childhood treasures: my Nancy Drews, my Wizard of Oz collection, my copies of classics such as Anne of Green Gables or Charlotte's Web.

But I have to admit, I had to get used to the e-reader. At first my eyes hurt a bit. It's a different reading experience, but I wouldn't say it's “cold.” If you don't mind the pun, that's reading a little too much into it!

Speaking of reading, I've just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and currently am working on Under the Dome by Stephen King and Beth Moore's So Long, Insecurity, all on my Kindle. What's nice about this is that I know some of these books I'll never read again (such as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or Under the Dome), so they're not taking up precious shelf space or waiting to be bundled up to be sold at Half-Price Books or donated to Goodwill.

betsey: Hmm. Very interesting. I think you make a good point about how no one relies solely on her e-reader. What I tell people about this whole e-book trend is, it reminds me of when TV came into widespread popularity and the Hollywood studios were afraid it meant the end of movies. But of course they existed, and continue to exist, side by side, just like radio and TV and other media.

jane: And it reminds me of when I began as an editor. I actually edited on physical, printed text -- literally cutting and pasting changes and corrections. The thing is, learning to use editing software and working on a screen rather than on hard copy didn't negate the underlying principles and experience of editing; technology simply changed the method
 
betsey: Oh, I’ve been wanting to read Under the Dome. What do you think?

jane: I'm just starting. It's typical Stephen King -- a little blood, a little gore, all set in Maine. Oh, and a psycho who just murdered someone. No surprises yet. I'll keep you posted, Betsey. But I'm glad I'm snug as a bug in my bed while reading it!

No comments: